At Still Creek Farm, we specialize in equine training, conditioning and rehab. To obtain the best and quickest results! We provide a hydrotherapy aqua tread system manufactured by HydroHorse.
What is a Hydro Horse?
It is a submerged hydraulic powered treadmill in a specially designed pool that integrates with whirlpool water-jets and air blowers to be an effective curative and strengthening tool.
What makes the HydroHorse more effective rehab therapy?
Stall rest deconditions and provides little stimulation to keep your horse safely occupied and handled. Unlike traditional swimming pool therapy, the HydroHorse allows your horse to safely exercise in a controlled environment engaging the same muscles used in normal training gaits. The water is kept at a level to displace about 45% of the horses weight while allowing contact with the treadmill’s non-concussive landing surface. The buoyancy of e water causes your horse’s back to lift and stretch.
How does it help with conditioning?
Early conditioning on the aquatread system helps tendons, ligaments and joint capsules to tighten and increase in tensile strength. Contact with the treadmill ensures that the same muscle groups are used as under saddle and affords sufficient concussion to promote bone density and muscle development.
What should I expect?
- A well trained staff will acclimate your horse to the climate controlled building.
- A slow, positive introduction to the pool while rewarding curiosity.
- Your horse will walk through the pool several times to become acclimated to the routine, learn to stop in the middle of the pool and have people move around his/her head, and learn to walk on the submerged treadmill.s
- A typical first session will last 6 to 8 minutes, allowing your horse to learn to walk on the aquatread and become relaxed without stressing the horse.
- Subsequent sessions will increase in time and intensity. Most sessions are 30 minutes and include walk and trot work, transitions with emphasis on keeping the horse straight and forward while working over the back.
- Additional time is available for horses needing more intense workouts.